These dishes are good for you and super yummy too! Instead of popping a processed snack or frozen meal into the microwave, save money and buy some fresh ingredients and basic items you can always keep on hand in the kitchen. This way you and your kids can create recipes you’ll love to make—and eat—anytime you want!
What makes the best tuna sandwich?
#1 Quality Bread
#2 Quality Mayonnaise or Vegenaise
#3 Quality Tuna (in water)
2 cans tuna (packed in water), drained
½ cup red onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/8 cup (or less) sweet pickle relish
3 to 5 tablespoons mayonnaise or Vegenaise
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 apple, chopped (optional)
Chopped toasted almonds (optional)
4 slices 100% whole wheat bread
• Mix the tuna with the red onion, celery, pickle relish, mayonnaise (or Vegenaise), and mustard well in a bowl with a fork. If you desire, add the apple and/or toasted almonds.
• Toast the bread (optional) and spread with tuna mixture.
Add lettuce, sliced tomato and red onion to your sandwich, if desired.
2 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
Pinch of salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats (uncooked)
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• Mix together the brown sugar, cocoa, butter, milk, and salt in a saucepan.
• Cook the mixture until it comes to a rolling boil and then continue cooking for one minute. Remove from heat.
• Whisk in the peanut butter and the vanilla until well blended. Stir in the oats.
• Drop mixture by the spoonful onto sheets of wax paper.
• Let cool until firm.
1 pound fresh tomatoes (you can use canned tomatoes if you must)
½ cup sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded (you can also use a milder pepper)
2 to 3 limes, squeezed
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Garlic salt to taste
1 bunch parsley
10 oz. orange juice, fresh squeezed
2 oranges, peeled
2 heaping tablespoons of non-fat Greek yogurt
Sweetener, such as maple syrup, or stevia
• Place all ingredients into a blender and puree well.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup butter, soft
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well—but do not over mix.
• Transfer the mixture into a plastic zipper bag. Close and snip one corner.
• Spray donut pans with coconut spray.
• Squirt 1/6th of the batter evenly into each donut ring—about half full.
• Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
• When donuts are cool, dip into a mix of sugar and cinnamon.